Help2Email2
Frontpage Bulletin News Areas and maps Media Organising Team Startlist & results Live RouteGadget

Öskü
Osku_gyapay
Gyapay Zoltán
Mayor of Öskü
Öskü polgármestere

The village is situated between Veszprém and Várpalota on the north side of Highway 8. The original name of the settlement is Öskő.The first syllabus of this word is a remnant of the name of Leader Ösbő, who was the head of the Szalók genera., the second syllabus means ’stone’ or ’castle’.

In the 13th century the area of the village and its neighbourhood belonged to the Szalók genera, later it went into the posession of the Újlaky family.

In the middle of the 17th century the Újlaky castle was given to Count Zichy as a church donation for his service to the church.

During the 17th and 18th century , after the Turkish destruction the area was settled by German and Slovakian settlers. That’s why high percentage of the villagers are of German and Slovakian descendants in present days.

The most important sight of the village is the Round Church built in the11th century. The story of its building and history has ramained mainly unknown ever since. The villagers consider it a remnant of a Roman watch tower., while the research of the previous decades made by art historians declarated it an Árpád age rotunda.

From the hill of the Round Church one can see the Lutheran church and the Roman Catholic church built in classicist style, beside which there are two statues: the Statue of the Holy Trinity and of Saint Anne.

The building of the Catholic church started in 1843 financed by Count István Zichy, while the building of the Lutheran church started in 1784 and was finished in 1834.

Opposite the Catholic church one can see a single story house with many windows, which was the bornhouse of Antal Tasner,the private secretary of Count István Széchenyi. Later Tasner became the secretary of the society, which was responsible for the building of the Chain Bridge.

The villagers cherish several old traditions including lace work, feather pillow making, pottery making and fruit conserving. These old activities can be seen or learned at the guest houses or the cultural center.

There are 10 guest houses in Öskü, where the guests are provided by catering. Some of the hosts teach the guests how to bake traditional bread or cake.

Other traditional activities are constantly exhibited at the cultural center. If one would like to know more about the history of the village, he or she can also attend the exhibition of local history.

Beside the sights of the village, there are several beautiful places to go for an outing to the surrounding hills, Veszprém or Lake Balaton, which is only 20 km from Öskü.

Osku_kerektemplom

A község Veszprém és Várpalota között, a 8. számú főút északi oldalán terül el.

A település eredeti neve Öskő. Ennek első szótagja a honfoglaló Ősbő vezér nevét őrzi, aki – az Anonymus által feljegyzett hagyomány szerint – a Bakony és a Balaton keleti vidékén a középkorban birtokos Szalók nemzetség honfoglalás-kori feje volt. A második rész a vár jelentésű kő szóval azonos.

A környék területe a XIII. század végéig a Szalók nemzetség birtokában, majd a veszprémi káptalan tulajdonában volt, később pedig – feltételezhetően erőszakkal – az Újlaky család tulajdonába került. Az Újlakyék tulajdonában levő várat és a hozzátartozó uradalmat a XVII. század közepén királyi adományként a Zichyek kapták meg. A Zichy család először német telepeseket hozatott, majd a kuructámadások miatt lakatlanul maradt területet felvidéki szlovákokkal és magyarokkal telepítették be, akiknek Öskü lakói mind a mai napig a leszármazottaik.

A falu legfőbb nevezetessége a XI. században épült Kerektemplom. Építéséről és korai történetéről adatok csak hiányosan maradtak fenn. Az ösküiek egy római őrtorony átépítéseként tartják számon. Az utóbbi évtizedek művészettörténeti és műemléki irodalma középkori, Árpád-kori rotundának vagyis körtemplomnak nyilvánította. Egyik érdekes adat a templomról, hogy Gróf Waldstein János családi kriptává akarta alakíttatni Ybl Miklóssal, egy mohamedán mecset mintájára.

A fazsindelyes kupolájú Kerektemplom dombjáról jól látható az evangélikus templom és a klasszikus stílusú katolikus templom, melyek mellett egy-egy szobor a Szentháromság oszlop és a Szent Anna oszlop. A katolikus templom építését 1843-ban kezdték meg Zichy István gróf költségén. Az evangélikus templom építése 1784-ben kezdődött meg, majd 1834-ben fejeződött be.